Safety restrictions on how much radiation phone masts are allowed to emit are to be relaxed next month, ahead of the introduction of 5G networks.
ICNIRP, the global scientific body used to set standards on radio frequency emissions from smartphones, WiFi routers and phone masts, will vote on easing its guidelines next month.
The Munich-headquartered organisation, made up of a dozen scientists, believe the existing rules can be relaxed without any health risks.
Telecoms companies have been hoping the restrictions will be relaxed to allow them to set up next-generation mobile networks, which will require more powerful signals.
The World Health Organisation is currently studying whether radiation from mobile networks is harmful, in an attempt to settle disagreements among researchers about the signals allegedly increasing the risk of cancer.
Fierce opposition to phone towers in residential areas across the country has persisted for almost two decades, owing to concerns the radiation they emit might be harmful to public health.
Campaigners have stepped up opposition ahead of the new networks as the successor to 4G will need more masts to provide the necessary coverage, each operating at a higher frequency. The current limits were created in 1999. The government rules that any manufacturer must ensure masts, or phones, comply.
Around 25,000 masts or cell sites are needed to cover mainland UK on the current network. But when data rates rise with 5G, they will need to push more power into the radio signal and larger coverage, New masts may appear on bus stops, lamp posts and in homeowners’ TV set top boxes.
Mobile phone companies promise the new networks will contribute billions to the economy owing to their super fast speeds that can accelerate smart cities, homes and driverless cars. Matthew Fell, the UK policy chief at the Confederation for British Industry last month urged politicians to help “supercharge broadband and 5G to stop UK economy from buffering”, and stop it being overshadowed by Brexit.
Vodafone announced last week that it is launching 5G in 19 towns and cities across the UK this year. The US has similar trials taking place across the country, backed by Donald Trump who wrote on Twitter that he wanted the technology “as soon as possible”.
2019 EMF Health Effects Survey Results Showing Health Harm
The EMF Health Effects Survey 2019 is an anonymous survey circulated online from 11/27/2018 to 1/27/2019 through the EMF Safety Network lists, website, and affiliate online EMF groups. There are 876 respondents and over 1300 comments.
Ed Halteman, PhD of Survey Design and Analysis has prepared a report of the Survey Results.
Executive Summary I
Responses related to EMF exposure depended on the self-descriptions chosen by respondents.
- 49.3% of respondents describe themselves as: “EMF Aware – You are aware that electromagnetic fields and wireless radiation affect your health or make you feel unwell.”
- 27.5% of respondents describe themselves as: “EMF Injured – You have been injured by electromagnetic fields and/or wireless radiation.”
- 19.1% of respondents describe themselves as having: “Radiation sickness – You have electromagnetic radiation sickness, a severe and chronic condition.”
52% of all respondents indicated that EMFs limit their lifestyle “Severely” (28%) or “A lot” (24%).
- 93% of those with Radiation sickness indicated EMFs limit their lifestyle “Severely” (70%) or “A lot” (23%).
- 70% of those EMF Injured indicated EMFs limit their lifestyle “Severely” (33%) or “A lot” (37%).
- 30% of the EMF Aware indicated EMFs limit their lifestyle “Severely” (10%) or “Alot” (20%).
Executive Summary II
- On average those with Radiation sickness indicated twice as many EMF-related health problems as EMF Aware respondents and 50% more than EMF Injured respondents.
- Top health problems believed to be related to EMF exposure were:
- Concentration, Memory or Learning Problems
- Stress & Anxiety
- Top EMF devices causing or contributing to problems
- Cell or radio tower
Executive Summary III
- Most Helpful Remedies for Improving Health for all respondents
- Prudent avoidance of EMF
- Turning electricity off at the breaker box
- Least Helpful Remedies for Improving Health for all respondents
- Medical doctor
- Prescription drugs
- Counseling or therapy
This 1977 study shows how microwaves alter the blood-brain barrier in rats: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0006899377907260
Microwave alteration of the blood-brain barrier system of rats