Evaluating the Effects of Minimal Risk Natural Products for Control of the Tick, Ixodes scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae)
- PMID: 33044507
- DOI: 10.1093/jme/tjaa188
Knockdown and residual activity of 10 minimal risk natural products (MRNPs), one experimental formulation of nootkatone, and two bifenthrin labels were evaluated against host-seeking nymphal Ixodes scapularis Say using a novel micro-plot product screening system placed in a landscape setting similar to a wooded residential property. The MRNPs evaluated included Tick Stop, EcoPCO EC-X, Met52 EC, CedarCide PCO Choice, EcoEXEMPT IC2, EcoSMART Organic Insecticide, Essentria IC3, privately labeled products 1 and 2 (based on EcoEXEMPT IC2 and sold as a professional pest control application), and Tick Killz.
Just the nootkatone and 4 of these 10 products tested (EcoPCO EC-X, Met52 EC, EcoEXEMPT IC2, and Essentria IC3) had statistically significant (P < 0.05) knockdown effects (killed ticks while active in the arenas) when compared to water-only controls, but only 2 of these, EcoPCO EC-X and nootkatone, displayed significant residual tick-killing activity after weathering naturally in the landscape for 2 wk prior to tick application/testing.
Moreover, botanical oil-based products with the same active ingredients provided inconsistent results when tested multiple times across study years.
- https://madisonarealymesupportgroup.com/2020/08/11/nootkatone-registered-by-epa-insect-repellent-products-could-be-available-by-2022/This New York tTmes article explains more: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/10/health/tick-mosquito-repellant-nootkatone.html
- Nootkatone is an oil found in cedar trees and grapefruit.
- It’s considered safe and is used in food and perfume.
- The EPA registration only applies to Nootkatone – not forthcoming products which will each need to be tested and registered.
- The chemical repels mosquitoes, ticks, bedbugs, fleas and may be effective against lice, sandflies, midges, and other pests.
- An ISU insect toxicologist found it to be an “impressive repellent but a weak insecticide.” It can kill insects but takes a vast amount of product making it impractical.
- Nootkatone repels ticks better than synthetics and is their equal at repelling mosquitoes.
- Unlike other natural products, it does not lose its potency after an hour but lasts as long as synthetics.