Woman, 42, wakes up with a BLACK EYE and swollen face after being scratched by her cat that left her on an IV drip for four days
- Heidi Plamping had been trying to calm down her cat, Storm, who was scared
- The cat scratched her on the face and arm, but Ms Plamping wasn’t worried
- Three days later she woke up with a mild reaction she thought was due to dust
- But her face was soon covered in a rash, and she needed to visit the hospital
A woman woke up with a black eye and swollen face after being scratched by her pet cat.
Heidi Plamping, from Canada, had been trying to calm down her cat, Storm, who had been freaked by a large dog.
As three-year-old Storm clambered on to her head for refuge, her claws caught Ms Plamping’s skin, drawing blood.
When the 42-year-old’s eyes and hands started to swell three days later, she thought dust mites were to blame.
But her face worsened over the next few days, to the point where it was covered in a rash. She was given pills by her doctor and sent home.
However, they did not work and she needed to go to the hospital every day for four days to receive a drip of antibiotics to fight her swelling.
Doctors warned her cat scratches can be very serious – cats carry and can transfer bacteria, which, in very rare cases, can lead to life-threatening complications such as sepsis.
Ms Plamping, a digital marketing consultant who lives in Cochrane, Alberta, had travelled to British Columbia at the start of May with Storm to stay and work with friends for the summer.
When they arrived on May 2, Ms Plamping let Storm out on her lead as she had done countless times before when they’ve visited the unidentified friend.
However, since their last visit, Ms Plamping’s friend had got two Great Danes who were very friendly and excited to meet Storm.
The large dogs scared her and she started to get tangled in her lead as she panicked to get away.
Ms Plamping said: ‘Their dogs are very friendly, but my cat hasn’t met a dog before so when one of them showed up she freaked out.’
Ms Plamping rushed to Storm’s rescue and started to untangle her beloved cat as she climbed up her face to the safety of her head.
Ms Plamping said: ‘Eventually I picked her up so I could bring her inside. She was so scared she climbed my face to my head while I screamed murder and put her inside.’
As a result, Ms Plamping had seven scratches on her face and three more on her hand and arm.
When she woke up the next day with a black eye, Ms Plamping thought nothing more of her injuries.
But by May 5, Ms Plamping had a swollen hand and eyes. Due to having sensitive skin, she thought that she could possibly be having a reaction to any dust that could have been present in her new surroundings.
Storm, pictured, was freaked by a Great Dane dog at Ms Plamping’s friend’s house
On May 7, pictured, Ms Plamping’s face was significantly more swollen and covered in rashes so she went back to the doctor she had seen the day before
Ms Plamping said: ‘When they had to order antibiotics that had to go into me through an IV, I knew it was serious’. Pictured, an IV line to administer the drugs
Ms Plamping, a digital marketing consultant, said it wasn’t the first week in British Columbia she had been hoping for. Pictured, on May 13 when the swelling and rashes had almost gone
Ms Plamping was put on an IV and had to return every day for four days to get a new dose of antibiotics administered.
She said: ‘They said it is common for cat scratches or bites to cause infection. When they had to order antibiotics that had to go into me through an IV, I knew it was serious but was just thankful that we were heading in the right direction to make me better.
‘The next day, the swelling was going down but a rash was spreading on my arm.
‘The doctor outlined my arm where the rash was and told me to go to the emergency room if it spread any further that night. Thankfully it didn’t and once the hand swelling went down they finally gave me prednisone [a medication to calm the immune system] to help with the swelling and rash in my face.’
The medication made Ms Plamping nauseous and sleepy, and she said: ‘I started getting upset when my face was so tight and itchy.
‘I knew it would get better, but I was growing impatient. So, it wasn’t exactly the first week in British Columbia that I had pictured for myself.’
Following her ordeal, animal lover Ms Plamping said that Storm looked at her funny for a few days whilst the swelling went down.
But the two forgave each other instantly and Ms Plamping said she wouldn’t hesitate to rescue Storm again if the situation arose.
Ms Plamping has had Storm ever since she was four months old and said that this incident hasn’t changed their relationship, but Storm is now more wary of going outside.
‘Storm is very hesitant to leave the cabin. Back home in Alberta she freely goes outside. Here she is nervous about the dog,’ said Ms Plamping.
‘If I had to protect her again and pick her up, I would. I don’t have kids. She is my baby. My fur baby.
‘I wasn’t aware that cat scratches were so infectious. If you get a cat scratch or bite, go to your doctor right away.’
CAN YOU GET AN INFECTION FROM A CAT SCRATCH?
Cat-scratch disease (CSD) is a bacterial infection spread by cats. The disease spreads when an infected cat licks a person’s open wound, or bites or scratches a person hard enough to break the surface of the skin.
About three to 14 days after the skin is broken, a mild infection can occur at the site of the scratch or bite.
The infected area may appear swollen and red with round, raised lesions and can have pus. The infection can feel warm or painful. A person with CSD may also have a fever, headache, poor appetite, and exhaustion.
Later, the person’s lymph nodes closest to the original scratch or bite can become swollen, tender, or painful.
CSD is caused by a bacterium called Bartonella henselae. About 40% of cats carry B. henselae at some time in their lives, and it is more common in kittens.
Although rare, CSD can cause people to have serious complications. CSD can affect the brain, eyes, heart, or other internal organs.
These rare complications, which may require intensive treatment, are more likely to occur in children younger than five years and people with weakened immune systems.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU’RE BITTEN BY AN ANIMAL?
- Clean the wound immediately by running warm tap water over it for a couple of minutes, even if the skin does not appear broken.
- Remove any dirt or foreign objects from the wound.
- Encourage the wound to bleed slightly by gentle squeezing (unless already bleeding freely).
- If there is heavy bleeding, place a clean pad or sterile dressing over wound and apply pressure.
- Dry the wound and cover with a clean dressing or plaster.
- Seek medical advice unless the wound is very minor.
- For severe wounds, go to A&E.
Bartonella with cat scratch and fairly immediate & severe symptoms, while scary, is fairly straight forward. Bartonella, without cat exposure that smolders over years, along with potential tick bites and other pathogen involvement can be devastating, fly under the radar, and remain undiagnosed for years. This is what many Lyme/MSIDS patients struggle with.
https://madisonarealymesupportgroup.com/2019/03/02/skin-inflammation-nodules-letting-the-cat-out-of-the-bag/ Cases of Bartonella with NO cat exposure listed in comment section.
More about Bartonella & Treatments: https://madisonarealymesupportgroup.com/2016/01/03/bartonella-treatment/
Pets can also bring ticks into the house to infect you: https://madisonarealymesupportgroup.com/2017/08/12/pet-owners-have-nearly-2-times-the-risk-of-finding-ticks/
If you are currently treating your fur baby with Bravecto, Nexgard or Simparica you need to be careful. According to the FDA, some animals treated with these medications
“have experienced adverse events such as muscle tremors, ataxia, and seizure.”1 There is also another product in that class of drugs called, Credelio (it recently received FDA approval).