Episode #87: Wahls Protocol with Dr. Terry Wahls, MD
By Better Health Guy
Why You Should Listen:
In this episode, you will learn about the Wahls Protocol and the impact of diet and nutrition in MS and other neurological diseases.
About My Guest: My guest for this episode is Dr. Terry Wahls. Terry Wahls, MD is an Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner and a clinical professor of medicine at the University of Iowa where she conducts clinical trials. In 2018 she was awarded the Institute for Functional Medicine’s Linus Pauling Award for her contributions in research, clinical care, and patient advocacy. She is also a patient with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis, which confined her to a tilt-recline wheelchair for four years. Dr. Wahls restored her health using a diet and lifestyle program she designed specifically for her brain and now pedals her bike to work each day. She is the author of “The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine”, “The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles”, and the cookbook “The Wahls Protocol Cooking for Life: The Revolutionary Modern Paleo Plan to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions”. She conducts clinical trials that test the effect of nutrition and lifestyle interventions to treat MS and other progressive health problems. She teaches the public and medical community about the healing power of the Paleo diet and therapeutic lifestyle changes that restore health and vitality. She hosts a Wahls Protocol Seminar every August where anyone can learn how to implement the Protocol with ease and success.
– How did Dr. Wahls go from four years in a wheelchair to riding her bike to work? – What is the 3/3/3 nutrition program?
– Why are greens, colored vegetables and fruits, and sulfur-containing foods so critical?
– How is the mitochondria and myelin supported through diet?
– Why are mushrooms and seaweed key components of the protocol?
– What protein sources are utilized?
– What is the role if intestinal hyperpermeability in autoimmune diseases?
– Are lectins a problem for those with neurological disease?
– What is the role of the microbiome in supporting health?
– Do infections play a role in MS?
– Does environmental toxicity need to be considered to maximize health potential?
Connect With My Guest: http://terrywahls.com Related Resources: Diet: http://terrywahls.com/diet Papers: http://terrywahls.com/papers Interview Date: December 11, 2018 Additional Information: To learn more, visit http://BetterHealthGuy.com.
Disclaimer: The content of this show is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any illness or medical condition. Nothing in today’s discussion is meant to serve as medical advice or as information to facilitate self-treatment. As always, please discuss any potential health-related decisions with your own personal medical authority.