Tick Bites in Switzerland Hit Record Levels
A record 272 cases of infections with tick-borne encephalitis have been reported in Switzerland over the past 12 months, according to the Federal Office of Public Health.
Compared with the same period in 2016/2017, this is an increase of three cases.
The officeexternal link says the number of serious cases also reached record levels, to 5.39 per 100,000 people from 1.42 per 100,000 people in 2015.
The number of doctor’s appointments because of tick bites and bacterial infections were also up considerably in a long-term comparison.
The health authorities have recommended that people who live in at-risk areas, where the disease is endemic, get vaccinated against the virus.
About 1% of tick-borne encephalitis cases are fatal. Bacterial infections can be treated with anti-biotics, according to experts.
In Switzerland, the tick season starts in March and ends in November, depending on the weather. The health office says ticks are found mainly in deciduous forests with heavy undergrowth and at an altitude of up to 1,500 metres.
Video here:swissinfo.ch with SDA-ATS; ug
- Ticks are in far more places than deciduous forests. Please read my comment after the article in the following link: https://madisonarealymesupportgroup.com/2018/06/06/mc-bugg-z/
- The numbers of infected people recorded are notoriously low.
- Getting ticks off quickly is always wise as there is no such thing as a “good tick.”
- As to any predictions as to who will get infected…. nobody has a clue. Stated percentages are pure conjecture.
- Global warming/climate change is a red herring regarding ticks and the spread of TBI’s: https://madisonarealymesupportgroup.com/2018/08/13/study-shows-lyme-not-propelled-by-climate-change/
- I’d be extremely leery of each and every vaccine: https://madisonarealymesupportgroup.com/2018/07/22/why-we-care-so-strongly-about-a-potential-lyme-vaccine/ Vaccines are immunosuppressive by nature. Not what a person needs when their body has been bitten by a tick potentially filled with numerous pathogens that’s already suppressing the immune system.